Today evening, a fascinating book introduction event took place at Roja Muthiah Research Library (RMRL), Taramani, Chennai. Titled “Sojourners to Settlers”, the two-volume book documents the lesser-known history and stories of the Tamil community in Southeast Asia and Singapore, which researchers now believe dates back over 2000 years. Slide-Deck: You can see the slides of the talk, thanks to Mr Arun Mahizhnan who readily shared me a copy. ‘சஞ்சரிப்பவர்கள் முதல் குடியேறிவர்கள் வரை – தென்கிழக்கு ஆசியா மற்றும் சிங்கப்பூரில் தமிழர்கள்’ Edited by my well-wisher and friend Mr Arun Mahizhnan, Deputy Director of Institute of Policy Studies (IPS) and Ms Nalini Gopal of…
1. Did you know that the favourite “Pav Bhaji” was a result of the American Civil War?. //When the American Civil War was going on, the British didn’t have a stable supply of cotton because of the disruption in America.…
Every year, TiE Chennai organizes their annual mega-event celebrating entrepreneurship called TiECON (2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2010, 2008) where we get to hear talks by industry leaders and panel discussions by experts and rising stars. This year too was no different. Below are my personal notes that I took down attending the event.
Yesterday it was the awards night which celebrated entrepreneurs from various fields. The Chennai Children’s Choir, Nalanda Way delighted the audience with their brilliant singing.
Keynote – Behold the Crystal Ball!
The day started with a Keynote by Mr Vineet Nayar, former CEO of HCL. He talked about “How not to be an ant but to be a butterfly”.
- There is no way you are the smartest one in the room. If you think that you can’t excel.
- Manage is a French word meaning to get the horse to be submissive to the master. Instead, you should be inspiring.
- Most entrepreneur ideas are incremental, that’s not useful, it has to be risky, be path-breaking, to take a chance and be bold. We have to respect risk-taking.
- At HCL, during the recession of 2008, not even a single employee was fired, whereas the competition was doing it for thousands. That made HCL employees to not worry about their job safety and focus on serving the client better.
- The big question for you to answer yourself is Why should you do this (inspire, bold and change)?