Broke the glass in Nokia Lumia 920

This is regarding my new Nokia Lumia 920. About a week back, in the evening while at the new Phoenix Mall, Velachery I was taking some pictures with the phone of the mall’s exterior at night. Suddenly the phone slipped and fell down in the pavement, when I picked up what I saw was shocking – the entire front glass broken. I tried (with a paper tissue over my fingers as these Gorilla glass pieces can be dangerous) touching the screen, it seemed to work fine. This breakage follows the tradition in my family of breaking “Glass” of new gadgets – my son did it last year with my iPad2.

Broken glass of Nokia Lumia 920

On reaching home, I backup’d the device using Windows Phone connector app, strangely without touching and unlocking the phone (with the PIN) you can’t back up. Next day gave the phone for repair to Nokia Customer Care. Though I didn’t expect it to be covered under warranty (it would have been great customer service and gesture if Nokia did it), I was shocked when the service centre quoted Rs.18,000 + Service charges for replacing the Glass. This amounted to over 50% of the phone’s full price. Expecting some miracle I exchanged couple of emails to Nokia India Head office, finally I got a shocker from them – that the phone can’t be serviced, beyond repair. Realising I have it a wall, I went back to Service Centre and I have asked them to fix it. Expecting to get back the repaired phone in next few days.

Before you ask, I did try local repair shops – no one in Chennai seems to have the spares for Nokia, they have it for iOS devices & Samsung phones.

I am wondering. All phones get out dated within 12-18 months, and all touch phones are prone to getting dropped & broken. So instead of spending Rs.30-40K ($800) on a high end phone, how about getting a sub Rs.10K like Nokia Lumia 520 or Micromax A90S. Stolen, broken, out dated – I can buy a new phone every year and still in 3 years end up spending less than a high-end phone

13 Comments

1. Have you tried this Nokia Lumia 920 Disassembly & Assembly – Screen & Case Replacement video?

2. Exact Same thing happened to me. I got it changed in Delhi for Rs. 7000 from this one shop. My Iphone 4s screen broke as well. That cost me Rs. 4000. Nokia has one of the worst service centers!

1. Can you tell me from where you get it changed because i also broke the screen of lumia 920 . kindly contact me at **********

1. I gave the phone for service at official Nokia care in Chennai. They charged Rs.18000 for replacing the glass, I checked with 2 other Nokia care it was the same price.

2. Sukhvinder singh May 14, 2014 at 11:31 am

plz tell me from where u got it replaced in delhi

3. Please share the shop name and address.

1. i serviced it in official nokia care. you can look them up with a google search for “nokia care chennai”. considering nokia lumia 920 being nearly 2 years old, you may want to buy the new Lumia 630 or Lumia 1320 for lesser cost than fixing the glass. look up for my review on Lumia 630.

3. I own a nokia lumia 920 , 1and half months old. My phone’s screen got minor scratches when i kept it in the bag.
    I just want to confirm that does these minor scratches will be considered under warranty as nokia lumia devices boast of scratchless screens, even if you use it with a key or any thing as a stylus.
    Also if not under warranty, how much will I be charged?
    Thank you.

4. Hi All,
    I am also facing the same problem, the exact damage like yours (as shown in the picture). I submitted my ohone with Nokia care and they charged 10K for servicing, after 10 days they have given the phone and it was working good. After two days the entire display hanged and no response and again i given for servicing. Now 15 days over, i got the reply from Nokia care that cannot be serviced!!!!!!!!! If the manufacturer cant service.. Why they had brought the product to Market.. Now almost 30 thousands gone!!!!!
    Worst….!!!!!!!!!

5. My Lumia 920 display is crack Nokia care display replacement charges 12000/- any repair center minimum chages

1. i am afraid you got to pay that amount if you wish to have it repaired from official nokia. regarding 3rd party shops which might do it cheaper, i have no specific recommendation. check with your friends who have tried the shop before giving. its not rocket science to change the glass nowadays in smartphones. i have a good experience of changing my ipad2 glass outside and its working fine for last two years.

6. Hi Kunal,

You spent 7000 for Lumia 920?? is it?? I got my 720 broken a few hours back and it seems quite severe. Pliz let me know where in Delhi did you get it repaired.

Desperately waiting for your response.

Satya.

1. Satyabrata Rai, You may be better off buying a new phone like newly released Lumia 530 or 630 rather than repairing the broken screen. My wife accidentally broke her Lumia 820 display, Nokia is charging Rs.8300 to change the display. I am going to be buying her a new Lumia 630 for around Rs.10,000 instead.