Just a few hours ago, I delivered a talk for an Azure Community Developer conference. The talk was titled “Future of Software Developers in the Age of AI & Automation by 2040”. Predictions are always riskier, especially one for a fast-moving, exponentially growing field like Software & AI. Yet, I ventured and explored how Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Automation will impact software engineering by 2040 and how developers can stay relevant.
The one-hour video in 4K is available on my YouTube channel above.
I have been doing a lot of research on this subject, and I would like to hear your thoughts and inputs. Please share them in the comments below or in my Twitter @venkatarangan channel.
A few slides from the talk are below:
The way I see the developments by 2040 is going to be a mixed bag – with both scary and good parts.
By 2040 – The Scary:
- None of the 2020 roles will be there in 2040
- Time & Material (T & M) will be dead
- Baseline maintenance will be history
- Junior Software Developers will be gone
- Default choice will be no-code platforms
- Infrastructure related roles will be gone
- Software performance, quality and testing roles will be gone
- The premium for AI/ML Engineers would’ve
By 2040 – The Good
- New Roles around Quantum Computing & communication
- Every job role will be a software engineering role
- Lattice Career Progression (No more Linear)
- Creative Self-Starters will do well
Developers can stay relevant for the future by:
- Leave the baggage
- Continuous Learning
- Interpersonal Skills & Communication
- Curios & Be Informed