Today I gave a talk in the SharePoint 2010 Productivity Tour that happened in Vani Mahal, Chennai. I have been to Vani Mahal many times in the past for watching Stage plays, Classical Music programs or Dance programs, so being on that stage and doing a technical presentation was a little odd to begin – but once on stage I got used to it. Needless to say, the acoustics and lighting were good and I just wished the LCD projector could have displayed any resolution higher than 800×600!
The topic was “The New World of SharePoint 2010 Architecture & Administration”. The product is exciting with new features that I decided to do the talk with minimal slides (to be fair I gave the choice of a 45 slider to the audience). I covered most of the points from the Central Administration screens & some PowerShell scripts. I think to a large extend I succeeded in what I tried – download the deck from Skydrive and leave your comments.
You can see the first 30 minutes of the talk from this (amateur) video recording.
1) There were few queries on references for capacity planning especially on Search, I have given below some links on the topic.
- SharePoint Server 2010 capacity management: Software boundaries and limits
- Search 2010 Architecture and Scale
- Search Topology Operations in SharePoint Server 2010
2) The PowerShell code to enable Developer Dashboard is as below, replace “OnDemand” with “Off” to turn the feature off:
$svc=[Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWebService]::ContentService $dds=$svc.DeveloperDashboardSettings $dds.DisplayLevel=[Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPDeveloperDashboardLevel]::OnDemand $dds.Update()
3) The free tool I used that provided a GUI with Intellisense for PowerShell scripts was from PowerGUI.ORG. The HP Sizer for SharePoint 2010 can be downloaded from here for free as well.