IT SME Association & Tamilnadu IT Secy Talk
Today was the second AGM of our association – ITSME Association at Hotel Savera. The association was formed by an energetic team of SME entrepreneurs from Chennai few years back. The aim of the association is to provide a collective voice for the unique set of challenges that threaten the growth of Small & Medium IT companies in India; learn from best practises and foster a community.
A new team of Executive Committee took charge today under the leadership of Mr.V.Subramanian as President, Mr.Ananth Seshan as Vice President, Mrs.Sarada Ramani as Treasurer. I wish them all the best in their efforts this year.
Today’s AGM was followed by a special business session with a talk by Mr.P.W.C.Davidar IAS, IT Secretary to Government of Tamilnadu. Mr.Davidar gave a good talk on the efforts of Tamilnadu government for IT industry in general and in particular handling the present global meltdown. I was surprised to see a down to earth and a pragmatic talk by a government bureaucrat. Few highlights of his talk:
- Govt. of Tamilnadu with Elcot as the nodal agency for all E-Governance project / IT procurement has lowered the entry barrier to allow SMEs to easily participate in the bids. For example it is now allowed for a Rs.30 Lakh turnover firm to bid for a Rs.10 Lakh tender and so on.
- Govt. is looking favourably at specialized firms with niche expertise (for each project) as an important criteria while awarding projects than blindly going for larger firms
- All tenders in Elcot website are fully administered electronically, all bid openings can be accessed from anywhere from the world through the website
- Many of the SEZ in Tier-2, Tier-3 cities in Tamilnadu getting good response. The lands are now allocated in lots as low as 2 Acres. Government has realized that smaller allocation makes better use of the land and more employment
- Talked about the Citizen Computer Centres that Tamilnadu Govt. is setting in various parts of the state; for the success of those and to be self-sustaining economically it is important those franchisees have Entrepreneur skills apart from the Technical pre requisites. Govt. has provided these centres with thousands of URLs of central & state government services that are now available over the web
- Five districts have been declared as e-districts, where all the government functions/communications will be in digital format and appropriate connectivity are being setup
- Due to global melt-down there are thousands of floor space of IT offices are lying vacant in Chennai and other places, to help these be sold/leased and to provide a marketplace for them and for businesses from outside the state to setup business here easily, Elcot is building an web service to be released soon
hi nice to see the information, what is the website for IT SME Association and Tamilnadu, like to know about more information about this association activities..
Doing Business in Kuwait
Hey nice post. It was truly very interesting reading.
In this site very super , very usefull for me, keep develop, design also very super ,
i bookmarked in this blog
Thanks for your information