After my earlier post on MS Office 2003 Tamil LIP, I had several inquiries on where you can download this. The single source for all Indic Language related information and download from Microsoft is the Bhasha Portal.
Having said that, here is a cheat-sheet for trying this out:
1) You need Windows XP (Pro of Home) as your Operating System.
2) In Windows XP, go to “Regional and Language Settings” applet in Control Panel. There in the Second Tab, titled “Languages” Enable “Install Files for Complex Scripts and Right to Left Languages (including Thai)” option as shown below.
3) Download & Install: You need Office 2003 Software. An evaluation (trial version) of this is available from Office Website here.
4) Download & Install: The next is Tamil Language Interface Pack (LIP) for MS Office (Office 2003 தமிழ் இடைமுக தயாரிப்பு) available from here.
5) Run from Start Menu, Start->All Programs-> Microsoft Office-> Microsoft Office Tools->Microsoft Office 2003 Language Settings, program. In that, on the first tab as shown below, select “Tamil” in the “Display Office 2003 in” listbox:
6) Finally, on the same application, in the second Tab titled “Enabled Languages”, Add “Tamil” as one of the Enabled Languages as shown below:
That’s all. Enjoy MS Office 2003 in Tamil.