• Lounge,  Rostrum

    Venkatarangan.com – Fourth Year Anniversary

    What I started casually has now completed THREE YEARS and into its Fourth Year. I am talking about this blog that you are reading (www.venkatarangan.com/blog). I started it more as a log book – but now has become a reference and as a good outlet for me. I myself keep coming back to this blog mostly to reference on some links or recollect on how I felt on a issue or technology sometime back. Blogging has convinced me that who you are here, your thoughts changes on the experiences you keep having – and the experiences themselves change on time; in short we evolve over time. If you haven’t started blogging, please do…

  • Apps

    I have moved to DasBlog 1.9.6264

    As you would have noticed I have upgraded my blog software to latest version of DasBlog – version 1.9.6264. I have used a new theme for UI from this version. Let me know whether you like this theme. About DasBlog 1.9 – posted by my fellow RD Scott Hanselman (one of the Authors of DasBlog)  

  • Apps,  Microsoft

    Windows Live Writer – Post

    I am doing this post using Windows Live Writer. The latest build had a built in support for dasBlog (blogging software I use in my blog). If you need more information on customization WLW for dasblog, read this post from Scott and this post from dasblog.Info. Update Posted on 2/Oct/2006: When I first using WLW I was using dasBlog 1.8.x, which didn’t support image uploading. I had to FTP images and for some firewall issues with my ISP, FTP from WLW was not working. Since I upgraded my blog software to dasBlog 1.9.x the image upload problem was solved. I am now able to upload images to my blog using…

  • Coding

    Indic Rendering problem of my blog with FireFox

    When you view Tamil texts created with dasBlog like my blog indic page, you will see the Tamil contents not getting displayed properly in Mozilla or Firefox. It turns out to be a problem in the CSS with the text-align:justify; property. I have described this in my earlier blog post last year. After I upgraded to latest dasBlog version (1.8.5223.2) I selected “Project 84” as my theme, this problem resurfaced. All it needed was going to /themes/Project84 and editing the style.css file. In the file,  you need to delete the above-said property in the #content style.  

  • Apps

    Dasblog and MT Blacklist

    As you might be knowing I use dasBlog.NET server software (a community developed blogging engine) to power this blog. Today while going through the activity list that shows the statistics of visits and search result referrers, I noticed that all the referrers from Google Search are being blocked by dasBlog. This was not good news. On investigating I found out that the “Movable Type Blacklist” option in dasBlog configuration has to be disabled to get this problem resolved. This is due to the fact that the blacklist has been discontinued and that causes havoc with dasBlog. My fellow Regional Director and one of the Volunteer Project Managers Scott Hanselman has a post on this. dasBlog download: The…