பத்திரிகையில் படித்தவுடன், தமிழக அரசு சமீபத்தில் வெளியிட்ட உழவன் என்கிற Farmers செயலியை (Mobile App) பதிவிறக்கம் செய்துப் பார்த்தேன். நல்ல முயற்சி. பயன்படுத்த ஓரளவுக்கு நன்றாகவே உள்ளது. மேலும் முன்னேற்றங்கள் செய்ய வேண்டும், செய்வார்கள் என நம்புவோம்.
நன்றாக உள்ளவை (Good):
- The App Title is given in two languages “Uzhavan – உழவன்”, making it easy to search in either language.
- The developer (owner) of the app is given as “Agriculture Department, Tamil Nadu” and not as the vendor who got the contract to develop it. This helps in identifying the official app and discarding the spoofs that are likely to come soon.
- The App UI can be switched between தமிழ் & English easily and the Tamil translations are decent.
- The App load time and download speeds are acceptable over the Wi-Fi broadband I tried.
- In India (and Tamil Nadu) our Government’s have numerous welfare and subsidy schemes available, most often they remain unclaimed due to lack of awareness of them to the intended beneficiaries. This App makes it easy to discover the basics of these schemes relevant for farmers – to begin with, it has only 2-3 liners, hopefully, they will expand to have the entire workflow completed through the app.
சரி செய்ய வேண்டியவை (To be improved):
- For every menu item (Seed stocks, Weather, Officer visit and so on) we have to select our location every single time. It will be convenient either to automatically identify my location or at least remember my choice once done.
- The app asks for my Phone/Contacts access in Android. It reads and shows the device IMEI number for reasons that baffle me. These can be removed.
- The weather page doesn’t seem to be working – I am only seeing an error page in Google Docs.
- In the screen for Insurance Premium, it says the information is awaited from Government. Instead, it can take down a request for the same and notify me when the information gets available.
Overall, a good attempt. All the best for the team under Mr Gagandeep Singh Bedi, IAS who developed it. I am sure it would’ve been a tough task.
Also published on Medium.