Though I have been using Windows from 3.0 & NT 1.0 days I have never purchased off the shelf a Windows license. I get it through any of these other sources:
- OEM license of Windows which ships with a new PC / Laptop – like in this Dell Vostro 1400 I got in 2007 with Windows Vista
- Through Volume licensing when we need licenses for our business or for our customers, especially Windows Server products
- Through the Microsoft Partner Network, as we are a Microsoft Gold Partner
- Through the MSDN subscription license given by Microsoft as a benefit of being one of the Microsoft Regional Directors (honorary title)
- Microsoft giving commemorative editions for contributing through the early access or beta programs like I did for Windows 7, Windows Vista, Visual Studio and many others
So when a friend called me yesterday and asked me how to buy a Windows license (and its price) for his new Lenovo laptop that came only with FreeDOS, I have to think for a moment. Even though the answer is trivial I thought I will share it year for a reference and future sharing.
Now, coming back to how to buy Windows 7 and its costs in India:
If you an IT professional and want to try out Windows (or say Windows 8 preview) before buying it, you can download a fully functional 90 day trial of Windows 7 Enterprise from Technet Evaluation center.
The price seems to be ranging from Rs.5700 for Windows 7 Home Basic to Rs.11500 for Windows 7 Ultimate, which compares similarly to the prices in USA through Amazon.com (ranging from $99 to $240). The comparison chart is here on the features in various editions of Windows 7.