Tag

Localization

Browsing

Last Friday was a very special day for me, I did a demonstration on a stage that seated the “Who’s Who?”. The special event was one in which Microsoft India launched their Tamil Interface Pack for Microsoft Office 2003. C-DAC with association with Government of India also released a free Fonts and Software Tools for Tamil CD. The event was hosted by Mr Dayanidhi Maran – Cabinet Minister for IT & Communication and was attended by Dr Kalaingar Karunanidhi – Former Chief Minister Tamil Nadu, Mr G.K.Vasan – TN Congress President & other distinguished attendees. Myself seen doing the demo in தமிழ் of Microsoft…

Today I presented in Tamil Internet 2004 conference held at Singapore, on counting the number of letters/alphabets in a Unicode String. The problem is that if we use the string length functions included in major programming platforms we get only the number of characters based on the storage locations needed. They don’t understand the language and so don’t return letter (எழுத்து) count, instead, they return the count based on the number of Unicode code points. A few months earlier, I had written a quick fix solution in VB.NET to handle this. As a reusable solution to this problem, today I…

Many times while working in Indic Language web pages, I want to find the true character length of a string. .NET String.length() or its variants from other major programming languages, return character length based on storage space. They don’t follow the language rules, so they are incorrect according to language grammar rules. For example if the string is Tamil ‘வி’ or ‘கொ’, or Hindi ‘मा’, the returned length is ‘2’. Obviously this is incorrect, as per grammar it should be counted as ‘1’ character. To solve this problem, I have come up with this sample Windows Forms (.NET Framework 1.0) application.…

Thanks to a suggestion from Sanjay Vyas, I have fixed the problem of Tamil texts not rendering properly in my blog. Analyzing the problem, I found that my Blog Name which is in Tamil and my blog entry text in Tamil were not rendering properly. The encoding is getting set correctly to “UTF-8” in all browsers. Currently I am using the DasBlog theme in my blog. If I select Just HTML, as my Theme then the texts gets rendered correctly. So it turns out to be a problem with the main CSS that gets applied for DasBlog them. With this, I narrowed the problem…