Rajakeeyam at Sanjeevanam, Chennai
The meal served in this restaurant is my favourite, it is called Raja Keeyam. A vegetarian meal that’s made using the principles of Naturopathy and consists of 28 dishes. Everything served is extremely tasty and good for health, and, surprisingly the dishes don’t include Potato, Garlic or Onion.
I regularly bring my friends here, especially those coming from abroad and they love the food, the ambience, the service and the variety. Today (24 Feb 2020) was one such trip, and we thoroughly enjoyed the meal.
The meal is served on top of Banana leaf, which is said to add fibrous nutrients to the food that’s eaten on it. The meal is served in courses:
- Banana slices served with grated coconut
- Fruit Juices and Vegetable extracts – Appetizer shots of Date Juice, Nuts Milk, Veg Clear Soup, Butter Milk and Bran Rice Water
- Vegetable Salads, Red Rice Puttu & banana pith raita (curd/buttermilk)
- Semi-cooked vegetables
- Fully-cooked vegetables like Avial (அவியல்), Leafy poriyals and other nutritious dishes
- Main Course – Rice, Rasam, Sambar, Dhal and vegetables. For rice, you get a choice of Kerala (Red) rice and White Ponni Rice.
- Desert – Payasam
- The meal ends with a spoonful of honey poured on your palms, for you to lick and then a fresh vegetable Beeda (Betel leaf paan).
Drinking water is normally served only when you come to the main course, as they believe you will not be feeling thirsty because you are eating water-rich foods until then.
Raja Keeyam, the nutritious food is served only at the Sanjeevanam, Nungambakkam High Road, Chennai, the restaurant is run by AVA Products & Services – the makers of the popular Medimix soap and many other Ayurvedic products from Kerala. For a person, the meal cost about Rs.450.