After showing preview of Silverlight for Mobile two years back, Microsoft has been absolutely silent. Since there was no news for a long time I presumed they have killed this project. After seeing this session today I am glad the project is alive and getting closer to release. In this session by Amit Chopra and Giorgio Sardo, they talked more about this – both the speakers did a fabulous job of entertaining the audience and making the session fun.
Notes on the session:
- Public CTP will be released in Q1 ’09
- Most of the Silverlight applications written for desktop today can run in SL for Mobile
- A new emulator for debugging Silverlight for Mobile is now integrated with Visual Studio
- By using the User-Agent and Platform class you can determine whether your application is running in Desktop, Windows Mobile or Nokia phones, etc.
- Lot of optimisation work is happening to play media well on SL for Mobile
You can see one of the demos in the video below that was shown running in a Windows Mobile:
You can read here an interview with Amit Chopra by Register, where talks about what’s in and what’s out.
Also published on Medium.